Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ashley's Flower Page & Template

Today's post is from Ashley at aJ Perspective, and it's pretty unique: it's a single page! Ashley made a beautiful and amazingly detailed flower page for her daughter back in 2010, with plans to do more. I really love the embroidery on this page; each flower is so unique and darling.

You'll be excited to know that Ashley has now started making one quiet book page a week, and is giving out free quiet book templates for her pages! Download this flower page template here. You can check out her newest page (a really cute and unique barn page) here.  Definitely continue to check back on her blog in the future, as she'll continue to post new templates that you can use!




Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Ashley Jackson.  I am a mother, wife, organizer of all things, creator, and Christ-follower. 

Who did you make this quiet book page for? How old are they?
I made this page for my daughter who was, at the time, about 1 year old. 

What's your level of sewing experience? 
I have been sewing since my mother taught me as a small child.  I remember learning to do simple embroidery at Vacation Bible Schools and sewing doll pillows and blankets from my mother's scrap stash once I got a little older.  I love all kinds of sewing - quilting (i've made several for my daughter), hand embroidery, and crochet. 
 
How long did it take you?

I made my flower page during a trip to visit my mom.  As usual, our days were packed so I mostly spent evenings working on the page.  All told I spent about 5-6 hours spread out over 2-3 days. 

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I didn't have any templates and this was the first bit of embroidery I had done in years.  I more or less winged it, cutting out varying shapes for flowers, learning how to make the button holes for attaching to the stems, and free form decorating each flower. 

What material is the page made out of?
The page itself is made out of, what my mother always called, unbleached domestic.  It's a heavier fabric that I thought would help the page hold its shape.  

What other materials did you use?
With that as the base, I added the felt to it.  Oh, and I used green ric-rac for the flower stems. 

How much did all the supplies cost you?
All in all, I probably spent about $5 on supplies because I had most of it on hand.


To see Ashley's flower page (with more details and explanation) on her blog, click here. To download her flower page quiet book template, click here. To see her new barn page and get the free template, click here. Thank you, Ashley, for sharing your awesome flower page with us and for the free quiet book templates!

Download the free Flower Quiet Book Page Template


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

1 comment: